EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We enable the best science by supporting talented researchers, stimulating scientific exchange and advancing policies for a world-class European research environment.
EMBO Press publishes four prestigious scientific research journals, The EMBO Journal, EMBOreports, Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine.
EMBO is seeking a highly motivated scientist with broad and international high-level research experience as well as expertise in web technologies for the role of scientific editor at EMBO Press. The editor has broad responsibilities towards ensuring that EMBO Press publications utilize a state of the art web-platform, to develop and apply innovative functionality and design and to apply and analyze advance performance metrics.
The editor will also be engaged in selecting peer-reviewed material of the highest quality and broad general interest for publication. The editor reports to the Head of Scientific Publications, EMBO Press.
- Management and implementation of specific publishing projects including journal design and deployment of new web functionality.
- Analysis of performance and access data, and drafting of statistical reports for the four EMBO publications.
- Interaction with EMBO Press’ publishing partners (Wiley and HighWire Press), including being the point of contact for typesetters and editorial managers.
- In the assigned subject areas, critical evaluation of submitted manuscripts, identification of suitable reviewers/advisors and the communication of appropriate editorial criteria and decisions.
- Commissioning, peer review and developmental editing of reviews and ‘News & Views’ articles in assigned subject areas.
- Attendance at conferences and visits to research institutions to represent the EMBO scientific publications, EMBO Press, as well as the other EMBO departments.
- Involvement in publicity and social media activities in assigned subject areas.
- Involvement in the strategic development of EMBO Press publishing initiatives.
- Carrying out other functions for EMBO Press as requested by the Head or Deputy Head of EMBO Publications, or the Director of EMBO.
This position will occasionally require duty travel and working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings and/or during the weekend.
Qualifications and Experience
One or more successful postdocs in the life sciences; editorial qualifications are an advantage; senior academic qualifications are welcome.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
Please supply a CV as well as a short cover letter outlining why you are attracted to the position and how your background and expertise would benefit EMBO Press and EMBO. Please include bibliographic information.
EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs